Work Permits

Most young people under the age of 18 are required to obtain a Work Permit before he/she is employed.  The permits may be obtained at the Avery County Department of Social Services.

The young person must fill in the:

(1)    Name

(2)     Address and telephone number

(3)     Gender, age, and birthdate

(4)    Social Security Number

The permit must then by taken to the prospective employer to get the employer to fill in the applicable blocks and sign the permit.

The young person must get the signature of his/her parent or guardian.

The young person must bring the completed permit to DSS along with one of the following documents to verify his/her age:

(1)    Birth Certificate

(2)    Driver's License or permit 

(3)     Evidence from the bureau of

        vital statistics North Carolina

(4)     Insurance or Bible records

The young person must sign the permit IN THE PRESENCE OF THE ISSUING OFFICER.

The young person must take the completed permit to the employer on or before the first day of work.

Certain regulations apply to prohibit hazardous and detrimental occupations for all youths under 18.

Certain occupations are also restricted along with hours and time of employment for 14 and 15 year olds.

Also, no person under 16 years of age may be employed in any job on the premises of the establishment holding an ABC license for the on-premise consumption of alcoholic beverages.  Sixteen and seventeen year olds may be employed at such establishments so long as they do not prepare, serve, dispense, or sell any alcoholic beverage.

Work permits may be downloaded from the NC Department of Labor website here.  For any other questions about Work Permits, call Avery DSS at 828-733-8230.